Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
Alexander Ramsey purchased the property at the west comer of South Exchange and Walnut Streets in 1850, He promptly built a house and he and his family lived there until the fall of 1868, when the building was moved across the street to permit the construction of their "Mansion House," Completed in the fall of 1872, the magnificent stone house became the Governor's permanent residence until his death in 1903.
The Ramsey's daughter, Marion, was married to Charles E. Furness in 1875, and she came to live in the "Mansion House" after Mrs. Ramsey's death in 1884. Mrs. Furness died in 1935 and was survived by her two daughters, Laura and Anna, who continued living there until their deaths. Laura in 1959, and Anna in 1964. The house, furnishings, and grounds were inherited by the Minnesota Historical Society for opening as a public museum.More...
This French Second Empire style barn, an unusual style of architecture for Cape Cod, is at the rear of the Edward Penniman house.
This two-story barn with a full basement of frame construction has a woodshed attached in the front. The unaltered building is yellow with white trim and a mansard roof that has had brown stripes. It's dimensions at 25' 5" x 30' 4". It features a mansard roof covered with painted wooden shingles on the lower level and composition on the upper pitch. There are dormers for the second floor windows and the left door. Cupola is in the center of the roof.More...
The house was built by whaling Captain Edward Penniman in 1867-1868, who had shipbuilders from Wellfleet do the work. It has remained in the family, is in very good condition and is within the Cape Cod National Seashore.
Captain Penniman lived in his house until his death in 1913. It was willed to his wife, Betsey Augusta Knowles Penniman, who occupied it until her death in 1920. Betsey Augusta Penniman inherited the house from her mother and lived there until her death in 1957. She willed the house to Dr. and Mrs. Maurice Broun, her aunt and uncle, together for their lifetime, with the provision that the property would go to the town of Eastham to be preserved as a historic house and museum. Dr. and Mrs. Broun bought out the right of the town of Eastham for $8,000 and gained clear title to the property in 1960.More...