Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
This excellent, late nineteenth-century mansion was built for an executive of the nearby Schlitz Brewing Co. and was at the time it was demolished one of the last surviving homes in the once affluent German residential area popularly known as Uihlein Hill. Alfred Eugene Uihlein, the mansion's first owner, left the house to his three surviving children, who donated it to the Archdiocese of Milwaukee in December, 1935. It became the property of the City of Milwaukee in 1970.
The original owner of this house was a prominent member of an illustrious Milwaukee family. Alfred E. Uihlein (1852-1935) came to the United States from Germany in 1867; and after working for a few years in breweries at St. Louis, Missouri, and Leavenworth, Kansas, he settled in Milwaukee, where he joined the Joseph Schlitz Brewing Co. One of Milwaukee's early breweries, this company was founded in the late 1840s by August Krug, Uihlein's uncle. On Krug's death in 1856 his business manager, Joseph Schlitz, took charge of the firm; and after Schlitz died nineteen years later, Alfred Uihlein and his brothers operated the brewery. Alfred served as superintendent until 1917, when he succeeded Henry Uihlein as president. Under the Uihleins' leadership Schlitz became one of the nation's leading breweries. (in 1969 it was the second largest brewer in the country.)More...
The building housed the equipment which generated the electricity for Washington's transportation system from about 1911 to 1943.
The following information is from the Georgetown Spectator, July 27, 1967: "The Capital Traction Co. built the power plant in 1910-11 to provide power for its streetcars, previously drawn by horses. It was built to be grand and stately by the owners of the firm, Georgetown residents, who were well aware of its importance in the heart of the Georgetown waterfront.More...
Central Presbyterian Church Is an outgrowth of the First Presbyterian Church of Denver, organized in 1860 by Reverend A. T. Rankin acting under a commission from the Board of Domestic Missions, Old School. The first Board of Trustees of the church included such names as William Larimer, George W, Clayton and Captain Richard Sopris. The original church divided into new and old school factions in 1869 and in 1874 the name of the new school church was changed from First to Central Presbyterian.
The rented house used for services was replaced by a church at 18th and Champa. Later this site became undesirable as the congregation expanded and the location became largely an area for business. The next move was to the present address at 17th and Sherman. Eight lots were purchased for $40,000. Plans for the new church were prepared by the partnership F.E. Edbrooke & W. A. Karean. Credit is given to Edbrooke for the design of the building and there has been no determination of how much, if any, of the work was done by Marean. The construction contract went to William Simpson and R, C. Greenlee & Sons for an estimated $165,000, completed and furnished. The comer stone was laid in 1891 and the building was completed in 1892.More...